Founder at World Toilet Organization
Entrepreneurship • Crowdsourcing • GGC-Prosperity • GGC-Water • Policy • Law • Ethics
Jack stands at the junction of many journeys :
1. Growing up from 3rd world to 1st world 1957-now
2. From school drop-out to Adjunct Associate Professor at NUS, Teacher at Singularity University, Social Entrepreneur-in-Residence at INSEAD Asia Campus
3. From serial commercial businessman (16 businesses) to serial social entrepreneur
4. From local NGO to Global System Level Change-maker
5. From fighting the bureaucrats to Master’s in Public Administration
6. From Luddite to graduate at Singularity University’s Global Solutions Program.
7. Jack’s unique blend of humour and serious facts allows him to communicate complicated issues in simple messages for mass mobilization movements.
Meet Mr Toilet
World Toilet College
Jack Sim, aka “Mr Toilet” is the founder of the World Toilet Organization and the BoP HUB and a leading global advocate for sanitation. Formerly in the construction industry, he founded the World Toilet Organization in 2001, after attaining financial independence at age of 40 and deciding to devote the rest of his life to social work.
In 2001 World Toilet Organization (WTO) declared its founding day 19 November as World Toilet day. In 2013, 19 November was designated as UN World Toilet Day – the day is now celebrated globally each year as a day raises awareness of the need for action to end the sanitation crisis.
For ‘creating goodwill and bringing the subject into the open’ and ‘mobilizing national support in providing on-the-ground expertise’ Jack Sim received the Schwab Foundation award for Social Entrepreneur of the Year in 2001. In 2007, Jack became one of the key members to convene the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance composed of key players for sanitation. He is an Ashoka Global Fellow and was named one of the Heroes of the Environment for 2008 by Time Magazine.
Widely known as Mr. Toilet, Jack broke the global taboo around toilets and sanitation by bringing it to center-stage with his unique mix of humor and serious facts.
WORLD TOILET ORGANIZATION
World Toilet Organization (WTO) is a global non-profit working towards a world with a clean, safe toilet and sanitation for everyone, everywhere, at all times. Our mission is to continue to build the global sanitation movement through collaborative action that inspires and drives demand for sanitation and provides innovative solutions to achieve sustainable sanitation for all. We do this through:
• Advocacy that mobilizes people to action. Through our constant advocacy efforts in the area of global sanitation, we have made great strides in breaking the taboo associated with sanitation. The cornerstones of our advocacy work are our annual World Toilet Summit and World Toilet Day on 19th November.
• Education, advisory, and capacity building. Our focus here is on delivering school sanitation training and hygiene promotion programs, our World Toilet College training model for professional cleaners, and consulting in the area of sanitation.
• And Sustainable Sanitation programs – taking a market-based approach that empowers communities, with our social enterprise model, SaniShop.
WTO has commemorated its founding day, 19 November, as World Toilet Day since 2001. In 2013 the UN adopted 19 November as UN World Toilet Day. World Toilet Organization achieved special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in 2013. Find out more about how we’re working to ensure a clean, safe toilet and sanitation for everyone, everywhere, at all times www.worldtoilet.org