Are you looking for a way to give back to your community? Are you motivated to help ensure your city is at the forefront of innovation to help tackle humanity’s grand challenges? Consider participating in a Chapter leadership team.
Chapters further SU’s goals through the efforts of collaborative leadership teams. On average, leadership teams have 3 members, although some teams have up to 7 or 8 members. These teams work across the globe to facilitate:
- Connection: Fostering an engaged local community
- Events: Organizing events about exponential technologies and global grand challenges
- Innovation: Sharing information about local innovations with the SU community
- Impact: Focusing on impact in collaboration with Singularity University
Successful Chapters host regular events, localize their work, (for example, hosting events in a local language), and engage all leadership team members in the planning process.
Meet the Chapter Leadership Teams
"To me the Chapter means being connected globally to people sharing an exponential mindset. Being part of a smart crowd working on grand challenges. Markus and I share the role of the Ambassador. We work closely as the core team of the Vienna Chapter and we also share the lead of the different salons we organize.“
— Petra Hauser
“Every member of SU San Francisco chapter team has different knowledge and expertise that they bring to the table so we divided responsibilities in a way that compliments every person's skills and lets them learn new things at the same time. We meet on a regular basis, have a clear strategic and executional plan and we openly discuss ideas and make important decisions together.”
— Inna Semenyuk
“One of our chapter's key objectives is to create vibrant and high-impact activities for our program participant and local community to converge and discuss SU's teachings and the impact on Singapore. We wish to generate excitement of the opportunities created by the exponential world and compel more locals to innovate with these future technologies."
— Charlie Ang
Fundamentals of Chapter Leadership
Leadership teams receive comprehensive support from SU to launch their Chapters, as well as ongoing assistance and coaching throughout the first several months of operations.
Onboarding and coaching
The first 90 days of a Chapter is an incubation period during which leaders begin to create a vibrant and effective community. Through our onboarding process and ongoing workshops, we empower every Chapter to best utilize all available tools and resources.
Exclusive leadership team event and network
Singularity University convenes community leadership team members at exclusive in-person gatherings to facilitate networking among these leaders right away. At these events, and through our online network, Chapter leaders can connect to a powerful, unparalleled network of world-class local organizers leading SingularityU Chapters around the world.
Network and brand
Chapter leadership teams also benefit from the SingularityU Chapter branding for their online presence and events. Moreover, Chapter leaders also gain access to SingularityU’s global community of corporate innovators, startups, governments, investors, and NGOs.
Photo thanks to wocintechchat
Training, tools, and resources
We use qualitative and quantitative inputs to determine the most needed resources for Chapters. We are continually building new tools and resources based on research and feedback from the community. Currently, we offer:
- Exclusive workshops for Chapters with SU staff, faculty, and mentors
- Digital tools to help leaders get new Chapters launched and running
- Resources to connect online with a growing network of hundreds of community leaders
“Bringing people from outside the SU community and putting them in contact with exponential technologies for the greater good, is what this Chapter means to me.”
— Solange Massa
Chapter Application Process
Ready to start making a difference in your community? Please submit an online application during the quarterly application period. In our review process, we evaluate applications according to the following assessment criteria:
- Ability of the leadership team to collaborate effectively
- Alignment of the local Chapter’s goals with SU’s overall Chapter goals
- Diversity of leadership team members who represent multiple perspectives and experiences
- Tactical plan demonstrating the team’s community-building skill set
- Actionable knowledge of Singularity University brand
- Market feasibility for the localized brand license in the proposed city
Although the license holder identified in the application must be a program participant SU, additional leadership team members do not need to have attended these programs. Eligible programs are:
- Local SingularityU Country Executive Programs (new program dates launching soon)
- Leaders of the Future - SingularityU The Netherlands
- Exponential Innovation Program
- Foundations of Exponential Thinking
- Incubator (Launchpad) (selected from GSP participants)
- SU Ventures
- Startup Network
- Impact Scholars
- Exponential Foundations
In 2017 we accept applications during the following 4-week windows: January 25th-February 22nd, April 26th-May 17th, July 26th-August 23rd, and October 4th-November 1st. We will announce 2018 application dates at the beginning of 2018.
The Chapter application includes the following components:
Process for all applicants:
- Submission of online application containing written responses to questions about the proposed team, location, and rationale for beginning a Chapter
- References submitted directly to SU by reference providers, using our application platform
- Document uploads: your proposed plan and timeline for the first 90 days of operations
Process for semi-finalists:
- Interviews with representatives from Singularity University
- Soliciting feedback about your team from SU community and staff
The SingularityU Chapter brand license is given for a two-year period. Chapter leadership teams that want to continue their Chapter licenses should reapply for this license through the quarterly application process before their current brand license expires. The brand license is a legal agreement between Singularity University and the member of the leadership team who applies to hold the license on behalf of the entire team.
Individuals do not need to lead Chapters in order to be eligible for any business partnership roles. There are other ways to engage in a business partnership with SU (for example SingularityU International Summits).
There is no cost to acquire the Chapter brand license, nor is it expected to be a revenue-generating activity for the leadership team. However, Chapters are able to leverage it to fundraise from non-Global-500 companies, as well as solicit in-kind resources such as food and event spaces from their local network.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Sign Up to Receive More Information
Throughout the year, we host a number of informational and conversational sessions such as webinars and application office hours to provide ongoing information about Chapter leadership and the application process.