Medicine & Neuroscience, Singularity University
- Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry, Brown University
- Medical Doctor, Stanford University School of Medicine
Daniel Kraft is a Stanford and Harvard trained physician-scientist, inventor, entrepreneur, and innovator. With over 20 years of experience in clinical practice, biomedical research and healthcare innovation, Kraft has chaired the Medicine Track for Singularity University since SU's inception, and founded and is Executive Director of Exponential Medicine, a program that explores convergent, rapidly developing technologies and their potential in biomedicine and healthcare. Following undergraduate degrees from Brown University and medical school at Stanford, Daniel was Board Certified in both Internal Medicine & Pediatrics after completing a Harvard residency at the Massachusetts General Hospital & Boston Children's Hospital, and fellowships in hematology, oncology and bone marrow transplantation at Stanford. He has multiple patents on medical device, immunology and stem cell related patents through faculty positions with Stanford University School of Medicine and as clinical faculty for the pediatric bone marrow transplantation service at University of California, San Francisco.
Daniel's academic research has focused on: stem cell biology and regenerative medicine, stem cell derived immunotherapies for cancer, bioengineering human T-cell differentiation, and humanized animal models. Clinical work focuses on: bone marrow / hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for malignant and non-malignant diseases in adults and children, medical devices to enable stem cell based regenerative medicine, including marrow derived stem cell harvesting, processing and delivery. He also implemented the first text-paging system at Stanford Hospital. Dr. Kraft recently founded Bioniq Health, focused on enabling connected, data driven, and integrated personalized medicine. He is also the inventor of the MarrowMiner, an FDA approved device for the minimally invasive harvest of bone marrow, and founded RegenMed Systems, a company developing technologies to enable adult stem cell based regenerative therapies. Daniel is an avid pilot and has served in the Massachusetts and California Air National Guard as an officer and flight surgeon with F-15 & F-16 fighter Squadrons. He has conducted research on aerospace medicine that was published with NASA, with whom he was a finalist for astronaut selection.
Other professional activities:
- Founder, IntelliMedicine & RegenMed Systems
- Inventor of the FDA approved MarrowMiner
- Adviser to the X Prize Foundation (Life Sciences)
- Advisor to Qualcomm Life
- Adviser to Rock Health, and several life sciences and Healthcare-IT startups, including Scanadu and Sentrian
- Health Care
- Medicine & Neuroscience
- Medicial Startups
- Personalized Health
- Regenerative Medicine
- Ted Conference
Speeches and Interviews
- Whats Next Health, A Conversation with Daniel Kraft (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation) 2013
- TEDxSF – The Future of Medicine, Where Can Technology Take Us? (2013)
- Medicine’s Future? There’s an App for That, TEDTalk
- Regenerative Medicine – Hype Hope and Reality, TEDMED Talk
- Daniel Kraft Invents a Better Way to Harvest Bone Marrow, TEDTalk
- Medicine 2064. Thinking Further: 6 minute film featuring Dr. Kraft and his perspectives on the future of healthcare
- Ericsson Business Review- An App a Day Keeps the Doctor AwayDaniel Kraft Cover Story
- “Our Health is In Our Hands” WIRED article by Daniel Kraft, May 2014
- 40 of the Smartest People in Healthcare
- The Top-10 Internet Smart Doctors in the World (2013)
- Pharma Voice 100: Annual list recognizes the most inspiring leaders in Life Sciences, as determined by their readers.
“Clonal precursor of bone, cartilage, and hematopoietic niche stromal cells,”
Chan C.K., Kraft D.L., Longaker M.T., Weissman I.L. et al, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science U S A. , July 2013.
“Endochondral ossification is required for haematopoietic stem-cell niche formation”
Chan, Charles K. F.; Chen, Ching-Cheng; Luppen, Cynthia A.; Kraft, Daniel; Kim, Jae-Beom; Deboer, Anthony T.; Wei, Kevin; Helms, Jill A.; Kuo, Calvin J. et al., Nature , Jan. 22, 2009.
“Efficient Transplantation via Antibody-Based Clearance of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Niches”
Czechowicz, A.; Kraft, D.; Weissman, I. L.; Bhattacharya, D. , Science, Nov. 23, 2007.
“Functional and Transcriptional Characterization of Human Embryonic Stem Cell-Derived Endothelial Cells for Treatment of Myocardial Infarction”
Li, Zongjin; Wilson, Kitchener D.; Smith, Bryan; Kraft, Daniel L.; Jia, Fangjun; Huang, Mei; Xie, Xiaoyan; Robbins, Robert C. et al. (2009). In Capogrossi, Maurizio C. PLoS ONE, Dec. 31, 2009.
“The “Marrowminer”, A Novel, Minimally Invasive Device for the Harvest of Bone Marrow: Results from the Marvelous Trial Demonstrate Safety, Efficacy and Improved Stem Cell Yields Compared to Standard Marrow Harvest Method”
Kraft, D.; Crocker, M.; Ramella, O.; Ghazarossian, V.; Carrasco Yalan, A.,Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, 2009.