Are you the next exponential leader of tomorrow?
Do you have a healthcare solution that leverages exponential technology and has the potential to impact millions of people positively?
Submit your idea by April 11, 2017.
Areas of expertise: Technology/Science, AI & Machine Learning, Medicine, Networks & Computing Systems
Winning idea: DeepSelf
DeepSelf delves into consciousness exploration and subtle behavioral change by utilizing AI technology.
The purpose of the SingularityU Singapore Global Impact Challenge is to recruit change agents to foster innovations and startups that positively impact the lives of people living in Asia with an ability to scale and impact millions of people.
Asia is home to more than half of the world’s population. Faced with a rapidly aging population and rising affluence in the region, healthcare challenges will continue to grow. Challenges include diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer, delivery of affordable and effective care, and management of chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.
In recognition of this growing problem, the theme for the inaugural SingularityU Singapore Global Impact Challenge will be to improve the delivery and effectiveness of healthcare in Asia through medical devices, diagnostics, and digital health technologies.
To tackle such issues, we are pleased to be working with global medical technology leader BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company). BD is committed to advancing the world of health by improving discovery, diagnostics, and the delivery of care. Through partnerships with stakeholders, BD hopes to address the leading healthcare challenges and needs in Asia.
We're looking for applicants with the skills and passion for developing great ideas—even moonshot ideas—and launching a startup company to improve the delivery and effectiveness of healthcare in Asia through medical devices, diagnostics, and digital health technologies. We hope to identify bold, innovative solutions to persistent challenges facing countries across Asia that will increase access to healthcare, enhance outcomes, reduce costs, and improve healthcare safety.
We welcome entrepreneurs, technologists, scientists, and other experts from all disciplines to enter this Challenge and bring their passion and knowledge to help solve problems already facing millions of people across Asia today and beyond in the years ahead.
The winner of this Challenge will secure a full sponsorship to attend the prestigious Global Solutions Program at Singularity University. The program runs from June 17 to August 17, 2017, and is held on the SU campus at NASA Research Park in Silicon Valley.
Dates and timeline
Applications open: February 22, 2017
GIC launch workshop: March 14, 2017
Applications close: April 11, 2017
Finalists announced: April 17, 2017
Pitch event & winners announced: April 26, 2017
Rules & Criteria
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The challenge is open to residents and citizens of Asia
- You must be age 21 or older on the first day of the GSP
- You must be fluent in written and spoken English
- You must be able to participate in the entire GSP17 program from June 17 - August 17, 2017
We look for people from all professional backgrounds but will be really thrilled to find you if:
- You’re an accomplished entrepreneur, technologist, scientist, or change agent with expertise in your chosen field(s)
- You have a background in or a passion for addressing healthcare challenges
- You’re already considering how to leverage exponential technologies to create positive impact in the world
- You’re committed to the long-term journey of launching an impact-focused startup
We will evaluate submissions using the following criteria:
- Degree of the solution's relevance to the theme of the challenge
- The regional relevance in solving the challenge in Asia
- Feasibility, viability, and coherence of implementing the idea
- Entrepreneurial and innovative potential, with a focus on technological novelty
- Quality of applicants' leadership experience, profile, achievements, and potential
- Applications open: February 22, 2017
- GIC launch workshop: March 14, 2017
- Applications close: April 11, 2017
- Finalists announced: April 17, 2017
- Pitch event & winners announced: April 26, 2017
GIC Organizing Team
Founding President, The Innovators Institute
Community Ambassador, SingularityU Singapore Chapter
Lee Chon Cheng
GIC Lead Organizer, SingularityU Singapore GIC
Steven Tucker, MD, FACP, FAMS
Founder and Medical Director, Tucker Medical
Chief Medical Advisor, Lumenlab - MetLife Innovation Center
GIC Organizer, SingularityU Singapore GIC
Adam A. Lyle
Executive Chairman, Padang & Co Pte Ltd
Co-Organizer, SingularityU Singapore GIC
CEO, Padang & Co Pte Ltd
Co-Organizer, SingularityU Singapore GIC
Frequently Asked Questions
Global Impact Challenges (GICs) are annual incentive competitions held in partnership with sponsor organizations worldwide and organized by geography and theme. These challenges act as a platform to identify outstanding entrepreneurs, leaders, scientists, and engineers with the most innovative ideas for moonshot innovations and startups that can positively impact millions of people in 10 years. The winner of each challenge receives a full sponsorship to attend our transformational Global Solutions Program.
No, there’s no such obligation from either SU or the GIC Sponsor. The GIC winner can elect to recruit fellow GSP classmates to work on his or her winning project or create an entirely new project during the summer.
In all cases where a GIC winner cannot attend GSP, the winner forfeits his or her GSP seat to the first runner-up and would then need to reapply for admission in a future year.
For more information, see the Global Solutions Program.