What’s your moonshot innovation to a global grand challenge that leverages exponential technology and has a potential to impact a billion people in 10 years?
The purpose of the SingularityU Estonia Global Impact Challenge is to foster moonshot innovations and high impact startups that positively impact the lives of people living in Estonia, with an ability to scale and impact a billion people worldwide in 10 years.
What is your moonshot innovation to solve a global grand challenge (environment, energy, water, food, health, disaster resilience, governance, learning, space, security, prosperity, and shelter) using exponential technology that would impact the lives of a billion people in the next decade?
Why Host a Global Impact Challenge in Estonia?
Estonia has emerged over the last 20 years as one of the most advanced digital societies in the world. We have proudly pioneered in digital innovation and bold implementation of new ideas.
We now believe it’s time to take the next step and apply our technologies and business models to unlock solutions to global grand challenges that create positive impact worldwide.
We know that Estonia has the talent, drive, and dedication to create the next generation of billionaires – high impact leaders and start-ups who will improve the lives of a billion people by applying exponential technologies to global grand challenges.
If you think you could be one of them - join us and submit your moonshot! The best way to predict the future is to create it!
The winner receives a seat at the SU Ventures Incubator Program in Silicon Valley starting in September 2018. The SU Incubator Program is an intensive 10-week program that is designated to transform and scale moonshot ideas into high impact startups fully sponsored program that fosters the development of viable start-ups (for profit or not-for profit) that have the potential to make positive impact at scale.
The SU Ventures Incubator Program runs from September 3 - October 19, 2018.
The Incubator Program Journey
Dates and timeline
Applications open: April 16, 2018
Applications close: May 25, 2018
Winners announced: June 1, 2018
Rules & Criteria
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- The challenge is open to citizens and e-residents of Estonia.
- You must be age 21 or older.
- You must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- You must be able to participate for the entire Incubator program from September 3 - October 19, 2018.
- Winners will be selected from startups intering the Latitude59 pitch events on May 23, 2018.
We look for people from all professional backgrounds, but will be really thrilled to find you if:
- You're a founder of an idea-stage startup or an individual with a moonshot idea
- You're an accomplished entrepreneur, technologist, scientist, or change agent with expertise in your chosen field(s).
- You're already considering how to leverage exponential technologies to create a positive impact in the world.
- You're committed to the long-term journey of launching an impact-focused startup.
We will evaluate submissions using the following criteria:
- Degree of the solution's relevance to solving a global grand challenge.
- The regional relevance in solving the challenge in Estonia and Northern Europe.
- Feasibility, Viability, and Coherence of implementing the idea.
- Entrepreneurial and innovative potential, with a focus on technological novelty.
- Applicant’s leadership experience and quality, profile, achievements, and potential
- Summary of accomplishments.
- An abstract of the project idea.
- Within the abstract, describe and detail the following: Your idea and problem/opportunity you are addressing, your solution and long-term impact, applied technology for your solution, and your business model
- Video URL of the project idea.
Founder, SingularityU Tallinn, SUEP 2017
Frequently Asked Questions
Global Impact Challenges (GICs) are annual incentive competitions held in partnership with sponsor organizations worldwide and organized by geography and theme. These challenges act as a platform to identify outstanding entrepreneurs, leaders, scientists, and engineers with the most innovative ideas for moonshot innovations and startups that can positively impact a billion people in 10 years. The winner of each challenge receives a full sponsorship to attend an SU program.
We are looking for early-phase startup ideas or individuals with a moonshot idea. Judging criteria is based on the grandness of the idea—such as whether it solves a problem with a potential to positively impact millions of people, technological novelty, viability of implementing it, and applicants leadership potential.
If you’re a later-stage venture, check out the SU Ventures program.
Still have questions?
Contact the Global Impact Challenges team at SU at [email protected].