About Global Impact Challenges
Global Impact Challenges (GICs) are annual competitions held in partnership with sponsor organizations worldwide and organized by geography and theme. These challenges are an open call to entrepreneurs, leaders, scientists, and engineers with the most innovative ideas for moonshot innovations and startups that can positively impact a billion people in 10 years.
The winner of each Challenge receives a full sponsorship to attend one of Singularity University's transformational programs. Each GIC listed below details its prize on their webpage.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements*:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English
“Through the experience, knowledge and network acquired at GSP, I expect to push the project much further.”
— Pablo Orduña
2016 GIC Winner
“Singularity University is a place that makes you discover your passions and empower you to change the world.”
— Mariana Vasconcelos
Brazil, 2015 GIC Winner
Here are some of the challenges we've held in the past.
Become a GIC Sponsor
Sponsoring a GIC signals to the world that your organization is committed to finding innovative solutions to humanity's most urgent problems and to investing in talented change agents who are working tirelessly to bring these innovations to life in every corner of the world.
Sign Up for Updates
You'll be the first one to know about new Challenges as they're added.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some of the most commonly asked questions
Global Impact Challenges (GICs) are annual incentive competitions held in partnership with sponsor organizations worldwide and organized by geography and theme. These challenges are an open call to entrepreneurs, technologists and scientists with the most innovative ideas for moonshot innovations and startups that can positively impact a billion people in 10 years.
You’re an ideal candidate if you:
- Are an experienced entrepreneur who has already turned over at least one successful company, and are ready to do it again in the impact space
- Are a technical or problem space expert who is eager to build a company alongside a seasoned entrepreneur
- Are an accomplished technologist, scientist, or change agent and are recognized as a thought leader in your chosen field(s)
- Have an innovative solution to an urgent global challenge that leverages exponential technologies and can positively impact a billion people within 10 years
For information on open challenges, you can sign up to receive updates on new GICs as they’re announced.
The schedule varies from one challenge to another. For more information, please consult the individual challenge listings above.
The selection process has two to three phases, depending on the challenge. The first phase involves a review of all applications to determine 5-10 finalists, and the second phase involves final judging to select the winner—this is either done remotely via video call, or at a pitch event.
- Degree of solution's relevance to the theme of the challenge
- Feasibility, viability and coherence of implementing the idea
- Entrepreneurial and innovative potential, with a focus on technological novelty
- Applicant’s leadership experience, profile, potential, and achievements
Note: Selection criteria may vary from one challenge to another.
GIC winners are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas required for their attendance for SU programs. Most of our non-US passport holding participants have attended on a ESTA waiver program, tourist visa, or a B-1 or B-2 business visa. Despite having “University” in its name, SU is not an accredited, degree-granting institution and therefore does not sponsor student visas.